Unfortunately Álex Márquez’s physical condition did not allow him to capitalise on his brilliant front row qualifying position.
The local favourite was forced to retire from the race after experiencing numbness in his left leg due to the hip injury sustained two weeks ago in Misano.
In the early laps Márquez had settled in third place in a brave bid for a podium finish but made the wise decision to retire and regain full fitness for the next race in Japan in three weeks.
Álex Márquez: DNF
“The pain was not the main problem it was that my leg was going to sleep because of the swelling in my hip and pressure on the sciatic nerve. Before the race I knew this could happen; I decided to try but it was not possible to finish the race in this condition. Now I need to recover and be ready for the next race in Japan.”
Source – Marc VDS
- Yamaha MotoGP Team and Monster join forces from 2019
- Brothers, sisters and winners
- Successful Sachsenring Sunday for Smith and KTM
- Lorenzo: “We made a mistake on the settings”
- Rossi: "I studied Folger's race"
- Marquez: “It was very, very tough”
- Best photos from the German GP
- Role reversal in Race 2: Can beats Deniz Öncü