Two days of practice and qualification with a variable climate and degrees of grip of the flat and twisty Termas de Rio Hondo racetrack also marked an astounding Gran Premio de la Republica Argentina today. Despite the upheaval of a race that was initially declared ‘Wet’ but then delayed with almost the entire grid opting for a dry tyre set-up as the Argentine tarmac dried, Pol Espargaro kept his nerve and battled from the lower reaches of the top twenty to finally reach a decent 11th position on his KTM RC16 and bag five points for the factory crew.
Through the 25 laps of the second MotoGP dash of the season the Spaniard fought from an initial slot of sixteenth to capture his best classification of 2018 yet.
“You always want more but overall after the crazy situation with the rain and the delayed start procedure – and to finish eleventh is still not our wish or place – but I think we did OK. At the moment when grip is low we struggle a bit more than the rest so it hasn’t been an easy weekend in the dry. I think 11th is not a bad result but we want more and we need to improve our bike to be where we want to be and we have a long way to go. But we will work hard and now look to Austin.”
- Yamaha MotoGP Team and Monster join forces from 2019
- Brothers, sisters and winners
- Successful Sachsenring Sunday for Smith and KTM
- Lorenzo: “We made a mistake on the settings”
- Rossi: "I studied Folger's race"
- Marquez: “It was very, very tough”
- Best photos from the German GP
- Role reversal in Race 2: Can beats Deniz Öncü