The Brit and Spaniard circulated to top ten positions in FP1 on Friday and Pol Espargaro was a very encouraging 7th in FP2 the same day. Warm and breezy conditions were again in place for Saturday’s action and both riders continued work on the KTM RC16 with a view towards the 27 lap distance at 14.00 on Sunday. Espargaro went for broke and was lucky to escape unharmed from a highside crash on his second flying attempt and ended the period with 18th place.
“Today didn’t really go to plan. I almost flew on my first lap and then crashed on the second so I could not get that lap-time that I knew was possible. I went into the corner faster and got on the throttle earlier and it finished with a highside. It was a risk, but it was qualifying! I’m a guy that gives everything; I do not leave anything in the pocket. Anyway, I’m not super-sad because we have what we need and the rhythm was nice in FP4. We took too much risk on this track and with the tyres we have. We’ll try harder tomorrow morning and I think we’ll enjoy the race.”
- Yamaha MotoGP Team and Monster join forces from 2019
- Brothers, sisters and winners
- Successful Sachsenring Sunday for Smith and KTM
- Lorenzo: “We made a mistake on the settings”
- Rossi: "I studied Folger's race"
- Marquez: “It was very, very tough”
- Best photos from the German GP
- Role reversal in Race 2: Can beats Deniz Öncü