It was a positive result for Aleix Espargaró at Le Mans with his Aprilia RS-GP, finishing ninth after a spectacular battle.
After a less than perfect start from the twelfth spot on the grid, Aleix recovered positions in the early phase of the race, establishing himself (thanks in part to a few DNFs in the front ranks) in seventh place.
Only an irritating chattering kept him from fending off the attacks of Viñales and Crutchlow in the finale, in any case staying in the top 10, just behind his rivals.
“At the start I was bogged down on the first chicane, losing several positions, so in the early laps I had to push to the limit to make up lost ground. At that point, it was no longer possible to catch up with the leading group of riders and I found myself pushing on my own for the entire race. I maintained a good pace around a low 1’33”, despite a strong chattering on the front that I had not felt all weekend up to that point, otherwise I think that I could also have been faster for a few laps, maybe around a high 1’32”. After an unlucky season start, we’ll take this ninth place as a starting point, even if it is certainly not the result we had been aiming for.”
- Yamaha MotoGP Team and Monster join forces from 2019
- Brothers, sisters and winners
- Successful Sachsenring Sunday for Smith and KTM
- Lorenzo: “We made a mistake on the settings”
- Rossi: "I studied Folger's race"
- Marquez: “It was very, very tough”
- Best photos from the German GP
- Role reversal in Race 2: Can beats Deniz Öncü