With four crashes – two per rider – between this morning’s practice and qualifying, it could have been a nightmare Saturday for Team Del Conca Gresini Moto3, who were instead quick and well-prepared in bouncing back from setbacks; as the second day of action at Montmeló draws to a close, Jorge Martin is on pole with team mate Fabio Di Giannantonio 13th despite the close-to-none track-time available in the afternoon.
Jorge Martin was the unfortunate one in the morning after highsiding at turn two; despite missing the second half of FP3, he was on top of the timesheets anyway. It was a hard landing for the Spanish rider, who fought through the pain to claim a second place on the grid that feels more like a pole position.
Both Team Del Conca Gresini Moto3 riders will try and play their cards right tomorrow morning from 11:00, with the tyre choice being more important than ever given the boiling hot temperatures of the #CatalanGP.
“It’s been a complicated day. THis morning I tried to settle into a nice rhythm with used tyres to continue on the work done yesterday, but I pushed too much and ended up crashing. The hit was quite hard and so the pain, so I would have signed for a front-row qualifying result. We should be OK for tomorrow: Enea [Bastianini] is always very competitive at this track so we’ll need to try and stay with him in order to make some selection, too. Crashes aside, we did a good job, so we only have to make our tyre choice now.”
- British Talent Cup Selection Event candidates shortlisted
- Half-term report: Aki Ajo on the first half of 2018
- Nick Harris on Pedrosa's pure bad luck
- Multicoloured masterpiece: 2018 Misano poster released!
- Alex Marquez remains at EG 0,0 Marc VDS Moto2™ in 2019
- Yamaha MotoGP Team and Monster join forces from 2019
- Brothers, sisters and winners
- Successful Sachsenring Sunday for Smith and KTM