Two red flags at Jerez test as Moncayo and Vazquez escape injury in crashes
Danny Kent reappeared at the top of the list as the fastest rider on day two of the Official Test held at the Jerez circuit in Southern Spain. The Red Bull KTM Ajo rider reported a lap time of 1‘47.5, followed by Maverick Viñales (Avintia Racing) who paced two tenths behind the Briton and Hector Faubel (Bankia Aspar) four tenths off Viñales in third.
Sandro Cortese followed up with the fourth quickest of the field, despite a carsh that ended the German rider’s day early, with Miguel Oliveira (Monlau Competición) rounding out the top five times.
Out of a number of crashes today, two produced a red flag, the first of which was that of Alberto Moncayo (Bankia Aspar), the rider who reported the second best time yesterday. After only six laps, the Spanish rider crashed in turn 6 after which he spent several hours in the medical clinic after reporting dizziness. While eventually pronounced to be fine, he was advised to sit out the remainder of the day though he will return to the track tomorrow.
The second red flag appeared after Efren Vasquez (Team Laglisse) and Louis Rossi (Racing Team Germany) collided, both riders emerging unhurt. Also crashing but without consequences were Brazilian rookie Eric Granado and sole Malaysian representative, Zulfahmi Khairuddin (AirAsia-SIC-Ajo).
Track action resumes tomorrow (Saturday) for the third and final day of testing.
Unofficial Moto3 lap times Friday (recorded by teams:
1. Danny Kent (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 1’47.5
2. Maverick Viñales (Avintia Racing) 1’47.7
3. Héctor Faubel (Bankia Aspar Team) 1’48.1
4. Sandro Cortese (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 1’48.3
5. M. Oliveira (Monlau Competición) 1’48.9
6. A. Moncayo (Bankia Aspar Team) 1’49.0
7. Niklas Ajo (TT Motion Events Racing) 1’49.5
8. Arthur Sissis (Red Bull KYM Ajo) 1’50.1
9. A.Márquez (Monlau Competición) 1’50.2
10. Efrén Vázquez (Team Laglisse) 1’50.3
11. Niccoló Antonelli (San Carlo Gresi 1.’0.6
12. K. Fujii (Technomag CIP-TSR) 1’50.7
13. A. Techer (Technomag CIP-TSR) 1’51.2
14. Jakub Kornfeil (Redox Ongetta) 1’52.0